ONSITE: Couples Alive I
With Cathy McNally and Graemme Brown
September 1 - 5, 2021
Good News! We currently anticipate our fall 2021 onsite programs proceeding in their regular format, for anyone who has been double vaccinated, without the need for special COVID-19 protocols inside the session room such as 2m distancing, use of masks and extra sanitizing. However, over the course of the coming weeks we will monitor COVID-19 developments; if advisable to minimize risk we will re-introduce measures in our onsite programs. This would mean the programs would proceed, however with additional safety protocols and possibly a cap on participant numbers. If you have any questions please check with the Registrars.
“It was a pivotal moment in our relationship – we went to The Haven as the last straw before separation. We are now so much more connected and very, very hopeful about a happier future together. Such an amazing experience.”
-J., Couples Alive
Couples Alive is our renowned 4-day program series for couples. If you’re wanting more out of your primary relationship and are prepared to go beyond the familiar to find it, Couples Alive is for you!
The Couples Alive series is our core offering for people in a primary relationship. Much of what makes Come Alive (our core program for individuals) so unique and transformative is the foundation of these programs, but with a distinctly couples focus. With support and guidance from highly skilled leaders, you will learn and practice The Haven’s models for communicating and relating with your partner and learn from the diversity of experience around you. All couples meet together during the day and into the evenings, with breaks for relaxation, connection, or adventure in between. In addition to group activities, experiential learning, and discussion, there will be opportunities for the program leaders to support each couple with coaching and feedback. Couples Alive I: Foundation is a valuable stand-alone program as well as essential basis for continued learning in the series. For now the program will be adapted and modified as required to ensure Covid protocols and recommendations are followed.
Couples Alive program highlights:
- 4 focused days together improving, revitalizing, and expanding your relationship
- A chance to get away and visit Gabriola, one of BC’s most accessible gulf islands
- In-depth exploration and application of Haven’s tried-and-tested Communication Model from a distinctly couples perspective
- Many years of continued success with hundreds of diverse couples
- A truly unique approach to relationships developed – and lived – by our founders, Dr. Ben Wong and Dr. Jock McKeen
- A variety of breathing and body-awareness experiences that you can take home to continue nurturing your connection and growth
- Discovery of your boundaries and development of skills to express your wishes, wants and needs with each other
- Opportunities for self-care and/or quality time together with our oceanfront hot tub, onsite bodyworkers, gym, meditation room, forest trails… Covid regulations permitting
- The magic of being with a diverse group of couples and the rich opportunity to learn from and relate to each other in this setting
- Something different from your traditional couples counseling sessions – couples often report accelerated outcomes compared to individual sessions (though we believe there’s a place for both)
- Coaching and feedback from experienced and professional leadership who are highly trained both at The Haven and in their own professions
- A program series that offers opportunities to continue to learn and grow together…
“We are modeling a healthier relationship for our children. What a legacy!”
– Lori Appleton, Couples Alive I: Foundation
Package pricing starts at $3418 per couple, includes tuition, room and meals.
We are able to offer a limited number of partial bursaries through the Community Diversity & Inclusion Fund. Applications must be received at least 4 weeks prior to the program start date. Learn more and apply for support by contacting Anne Hainsworth, email@example.com. Bursary Application Deadline: August 1st, 2021.
September 1st your program begins with dinner at 6pm, followed by an orientation at 7pm and your first session at 7:30pm
- Breakfast 8-9:15am
- Session 9:15am to noon
- Lunch noon to 2:30pm
- Session 2:30pm to 5:30pm
- Dinner 5:30 – 7pm
- Session 7-8:30pm
September 5th your program finishes with lunch
If you are travelling to Gabriola as a foot passenger on the Gabriola Ferry a shuttle to The Haven can be requested. Information on this option will be included in your pre-arrival email.
- We welcome all people in a primary relationship, whether the individuals identify as male, female, or non-binary
- Participants will be invited, but not required, to share what’s going on for them and their relationship in the larger group. As with all Haven programs, how you participate is your choice
- Couples Alive II: Edge and Couples Alive III: Day-to-Day are the next programs in the series, building on the learning and experiences of Couples Alive I: Foundation
- Couples Alive I: Foundation is the basis for this series and must be taken first
Cathy McNally BSc, DipC is passionate about people and possibility. Growing up in a mix of cultures, with a background in business and teams, Cathy is curious about the gift of differences, and is committed to connection and understanding. A particular joy is coaching relationships of all kinds. Following a major life change, she is exploring aliveness, loss and meaning through the adventure of movement, voice, creativity, nature, eros and community. Her trademark kindness, caring and fun make her a sought-after group leader. Associated with The Haven since 1989, Cathy believes that “living well, together” is necessary, urgent, and possible.
Learn more about Cathy McNally
Graemme Brown DipC has been associated with The Haven since 1985. He is dedicated to compassionate and gentle inquiry, focused on his experience with the philosophy of Virginia Satir, Jungian shadow work and Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing system. Graemme considers his Haven faculty colleagues as another source of creative inspiration with their great diversity of styles and expertise. A member of The Haven’s core faculty, Graemme co-leads Come Alive, Living Alive Phase I, Journey to Self, Family Reconstruction and a number of other programmes on Gabriola, in China and with First-Nation communities in Northern Canada Graemme is also an award-winning recording engineer, running…
Learn more about Graemme Brown