ONSITE: Theory & Practice of Transformations Part A
With Jane Olynyk and Graemme Brown
September 8 - 20, 2023
Transformations – How the Haven Approach works
Learn the theory and practice of the magic that happens in Haven’s core sessions through this hands-on experiential training program. Transformations blends diving deeper into personal work started in Come Alive and other Living Alive programs, while learning the foundational concepts that go into Haven’s unique approach to personal growth. It’s a training program that takes you into ancient wisdom while connecting with modern science, learning what it is to be truly human. It is about expanding your world through challenging your beliefs, going beyond the idea of right and wrong, into a global humanistic and relational view of your own process with others.
Haven’s Approach was birthed from a multitude of forms and ideas using a wholistic frame to body, mind, emotions and spirit, while having the agility to respond to where someone’s growth leads them. In Transformations, you will take those concepts and actively work the forms with other participants to embody and learn how to create the ‘magic’ of transformation. You will embody and expand in your own self-knowledge through your contact in this expanded role as facilitator, helper and guide.
Areas we will cover are:
- The Haven Approach: Our history and the fundamentals of our approach to growth through experiential learning. Examine the elements of Haven’s bias in working with self and others.
- Highlights of Western Psychology, that are intrinsic to our thinking and biases and how those concepts form a lens we see the world through. With a focus on the psychodynamic and humanistic / existential traditions reflected in Haven approaches, see your understanding of yourself, trying on a new lens to expand your world and ability to relate.
- Classical Chinese (Five Elements) Medicine. The philosophy of acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, with it’s wholistic inclusion of body, mind, emotion and spirit, offering a dynamic relational perspective to health and healing.
- The Body and its Energy. The theory and practice of various body-oriented therapies, including Haven-style body and breath work, introduces participants to concepts and hands-on experience of working with energy and its movement.
- Various Experiential Forms including the theory and practice of gestalt, psychodrama, somatics, family systems, communication skills and group dynamics. This will be useful both to those who work with people as helpers and in participants’ own growth process.
- Looking at all aspects of our lives, including…. spiritual beliefs, cultural and environmental values, psychic phenomena, scientific concepts of Chaos theory and quantum physics, brain psychology, chakras, subtle energies… questioning and expanding our beliefs and biases as we are presented with a wide range of ideas and experiences.
The program is an experiential lab consisting of daily presentations, dynamic dialogue, experiential exercises, with experimental labs to learn through doing, both in small and large groups. Honest and open feedback will be offered both from leaders and participants, using a framework of Haven’s Approach.
Accessibility and inclusion are important to us. We are offering Earlybird tuition pricing of $3000 if you register by October 3rd. Full tuition is $3,240. Dorm, Shared Basic and Private Basic room options are available.
- Haven’s Community Fund can help. We are offering limited partial bursaries to help you finance your investment in yourself. We can also offer pre-payment plans. Don’t let program fees hold you back. Learn more. Our funding is very limited and applications must be received by Friday Aug 4th so we have time to process them.
Your program begins with dinner at 6pm and your first session at 7:30pm
- Breakfast 8-9:00am
- Morning session most days 9:15am to noon, with a break midway
- Lunch noon to 1:00pm
- Afternoon session most days 3:00-6:00pm, with a break midway
- Dinner 6:00 – 7:30pm
- Evening session most days 7:30 – 9:00pm
Afternoon and evening sessions can vary. Your program finishes at 11:30am on the last day, and lunch is included
Although it is highly recommended to take this program following the Living Alive programs, it can be taken at any time, bearing in mind individual needs, requirements and capabilities. We recommend taking both 12 day sessions, with Part A as a requirement prior to Part B. Part B dates will be announced at a later date.
This reading list is intended to help you to start the process before you reach the session room. The books have been chosen to give you a wide invitation to explore the big questions, to stretch your thinking, to bump into your own limitations as you learn new ideas. We strongly encourage reading as many as you can, even if it means browsing through them to get a ‘feeling’ of what we are going to explore. You won’t be sorry. Some books are available in our online store.
- The Illuminated Heart, Wong and McKeen. A must, as it provides a good overview of many concepts.
- Being: A Manual for Life and Joining: The Relationship Garden, Wong and McKeen. The basic texts for The Haven’s approach, **requested reading
- Traditional Acupuncture: The Law of the 5 Elements, Dianne Connelly.
- Civilization and its Discontents, Sigmund Freud.
- Situation Ethics, Joseph Fletcher.
- Denial of Death, Ernest Becker.
- When the Body Says No, Gabor Mate.
- Eastern Body, Western Mind, Anodea Judith.
- Compassion and Self Hate, Theodore Rubin.
- Body, Self and Soul, Jack Rosenberg.
- No Boundary, Ken Wilber. Or, any of his titles.
- Vibrational Medicine, Richard Gerber.
- Pocket Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology, Daniel Siegel.
- Current Psychotherapies, Raymond J. Corsini. Older editions are less expensive and fine for our purposes.
Covid 19 Protocols and Mask Mandates:
Our goal is to make the session room as safe as possible. Because we will be working up close with each other and that both leaders are at higher risk for Covid, masks will be mandatory for the first 3-4 days, using either a N95 or well-fitting KN95, no exceptions. There will be breaks from wearing masks in open air spaces.
Participants are required to bring at least 6 masks with them. To help reduce possible infection, we also request participants wear masks for 2 days before coming, particularly in any indoor settings. If we keep Covid safe, we should be able to go mask-less after the first few days.
If able, bring a 5 pack of Rapid Antigen tests to have in your room. In BC they are free at pharmacies.
Windows will be open at times in the session room and some exercises may take place outdoors so bring warm clothing suitable for both occasions.
Participants are required to self-monitor for symptoms of illness, and are asked to isolate from others when showing symptoms.
Review our current Communicable Disease Safety Protocols to keep us all healthy on property.
Admission requirements: The student must have the desire and ability to learn. Must demonstrate a capacity for responsible self care, responsible self organization and sound mental health. The student must understand and speak English.
This program does not require approval by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training. As such, the registrar did not review this program. What does this mean? Click here to learn more.
Jane Olynyk BA, Diploma TCM, DipC is a seasoned counsellor, licensed acupuncturist, and group facilitator. Blending Eastern and Western medicine and psychology, she offers a truly holistic view of working with body, mind and spirit. She leads Come Alive, New Horizons: Phase III, Five Elements Practicum, and Dynamic Empathy.
Learn more about Jane Olynyk
Graemme Brown (Dip.C / SEP) runs a private counseling practice on Gabriola Island. Associated with The Haven since attending his first experiential workshop there in 1985, he is dedicated to compassionate and gentle inquiry. Drawing on his expertise with the family-systems approach of Virginia Satir, Jungian shadow work and the trauma healing of Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing system, Graemme’s approach is to assist people to re-connect with their innate resilience and aliveness, fostering healthier relationships within the self, with others and with the planet. As a member of The Haven’s core faculty, Graemme co-leads Come Alive, Living Alive: Self Awareness,…
Learn more about Graemme Brown