ONSITE: Come Alive
With Graemme Brown and Cathy McNally
November 14 - 19, 2021
The Haven Board, faculty and staff are actively discussing how we can keep everyone – participants, leader teams, and staff – as healthy as possible at in-person core programs at the Haven this fall.
Good News! To that end, we are excited to offer Come Alive to people who are fully (double) vaccinated at this time. We have crafted a clear, comprehensive set of guidelines that apply to everyone on the property. Please read our current Communicable Disease Safety Protocols to help keep us all healthy on property.
If you wish to register you will be required to provide proof of full (double) vaccination documentation by scanning your BC Vaccine Card when you check-in at The Haven. You can find out more and access a digital copy of your BC Vaccine Card here, or by registering with Health Gateway, https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/managing-your-health/health-gateway. If you are from out of province you will need to provide an officially recognized proof of vaccine from your province.
On August 24, 2021, the BC provincial health authority mandated that masks were to be worn in all indoor open public areas. After consulting with the Vancouver Island Health Authority and WorkSafe BC, it has been determined that Haven session rooms fall under the category of indoor open public areas at this time. Haven will be constantly monitoring future Health Authority announcements, and will adjust our health policies accordingly. If the current mandate is in place at the time this program is delivered then masks will be required to be worn inside the session room. Weather permitting some sessions will be held outside, please bring appropriate outdoor clothing. We will update you if this changes. If you have any questions please check with the Registrars.
Come Alive is our most popular core program and the perfect place to begin or continue your journey in personal or professional growth and transformation.
People from all walks of life, backgrounds, experiences, lifestyles, and locations join us and most experience something profound.
We are grateful for the land and sea that sustain us. We are deeply grateful to learn, live and play on 7 acres of forested land by the sea that is the ancestral, traditional, and unceded territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, a community of Coast Salish Peoples. Our peaceful yet vibrant centre on Gabriola Island offers a natural environment that supports the exploration of our innermost selves and our relationships with others. It’s a special place where we can take back our lives and discover our potential.
The magic of Come Alive is in our unique history, renowned communication and relationship models, community dynamic, and oceanfront setting on Gabriola Island. With support and guidance, you will learn and practice the Haven models of communication, relationship and self-responsibility, through a range of opportunities for personal learning. Group activities, discussions and experiences take place in both large and small group settings.
Come Alive is for you if any of the following apply…
- I want to deepen my self-awareness and move beyond self-imposed limits
- I’m ready to develop greater self-compassion and self-acceptance
- I want to experience the freedom of being my whole and authentic self – mind, body, and spirit
- I’m open to learning and practicing a transformative model for communication
- I want valuable insights to strengthen my health and well-being
- I want to break through self-limiting patterns and live the life I want
- I’m curious about myself and my place in relationships, community, and the world
- I want to rediscover joy and meaning in life
- I want more harmonious, loving and fulfilling relationships; I want to know what intimacy really is
- I am looking to improve my professional skills; to be more authentic as a leader, bolster my ‘soft’ skills, and develop better relationships with my co-workers.
- I want to shake things up and try something different…
“For the first time, I felt comfortable in my own skin…”
- 5 days in a serene oceanfront setting on Gabriola Island to focus on yourself.
- Opportunity to learn from, relate to, and deeply connect with others.
- A unique East meets West approach developed by a psychiatrist (Ben Wong) and a medical doctor and acupuncturist (Jock McKeen).
- Experiential learning through diverse methods: bodywork, breath, visualization meditation, movement, and cognitive skill development.
- A powerful approach to developing self-compassion and deeper self-awareness.
- 40 years of continued success with thousands of participants from around the world.
- Select expert program leaders, who are highly trained at The Haven and in their various professions.
- Unparalleled support and a high ratio of participants to leadership team.
- Opportunities to further heal and explore mind-body-spirit connection with onsite bodyworkers.
- A full schedule, complete with daily breaks for introspection, connecting with others, rest, relaxing in the oceanfront hot tub, exploring nearby trails, and more.
- Support to integrate your learning beyond The Haven through one-on-one coaching, online video meetings, and various local groups.
Our Earlybird tuition price of $1490 is available to those registered and paid in full one month prior to the program start. Full tuition is $1590.
We are offering private and shared room options, if room sharing is not permitted due to tightened Covid restrictions in the fall then we will be in touch with participants about moving to single accommodation.
- Shared accommodation and meal packages start at $622.05
- Private accommodation and meal packages start at $886.65
We are able to offer a limited number of partial bursaries through the Community Diversity & Inclusion Fund. Applications must be received at least 4 weeks prior to the program start date.
You can find our cancellation policy here
Your program begins with dinner at 6pm, followed by your first session at 7:30pm
- Breakfast 8-9:00am
- Morning session 9:15am to noon
- Lunch noon to 1:00pm
- Afternoon session 3:00-6:00pm
- Dinner 6:00 – 7pm
- Evening session 7:30pm
Afternoon and evening sessions can vary. Your program finishes with lunch on the last day
If you are travelling to Gabriola as a foot passenger on the Gabriola Ferry a shuttle to The Haven can be requested. Information on this option will be included in your pre-arrival email.
Here are book titles that can complement and enhance your learning in this program. You can purchase when you are at Haven, or order online. Click to learn more:
+ Being: A Manual for Life by Bennet Wong & Jock McKeen
Admission Requirements: The student must have a desire and ability to learn. The student must demonstrate a capacity for responsible self care, responsible self organization and sound mental health. The student must understand and speak English.
This program does not require approval by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training. As such, the registrar did not review this program. What does this mean? Click here to learn more.
Graemme Brown, Dip.C, SEP, has been associated with The Haven since 1985. He is dedicated to compassionate and gentle inquiry, focused on his experience with the philosophy of Virginia Satir, Jungian shadow work and Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing system. Graemme considers his Haven faculty colleagues as another source of creative inspiration with their great diversity of styles and expertise. As a member of The Haven’s core faculty, Graemme co-leads Come Alive, Living Alive Phase I, Journey to Self, Family Reconstruction and a number of other programs on Gabriola, in China and with First-Nation communities in Northern Canada. Graemme is also an award-winning recording engineer, running his…
Learn more about Graemme Brown
Cathy McNally BSc, DipC is passionate about people and possibility. Growing up in a mix of cultures, with a background in business and teams, Cathy is curious about the gift of differences, and is committed to connection and understanding. A particular joy is coaching relationships of all kinds. Following a major life change, she is exploring aliveness, loss and meaning through the adventure of movement, voice, creativity, nature, eros and community. Her trademark kindness, caring and fun make her a sought-after group leader. Associated with The Haven since 1989, Cathy believes that “living well, together” is necessary, urgent, and possible.
Learn more about Cathy McNally