Sexual Attitude Restructuring (SAR)
Sexual Attitude Restructuring (or Reassessment), SAR, is an intense learning event designed for people who wish to better understand Human Sexuality, their own and that of others. Didactic and experiential, SAR offers each person the information and experience necessary for more competent, sensitive, professional and personal functioning.
SAR was created at the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco. More than 2,500 persons have participated. It is taught and recommended by many universities as a beneficial process for students of family therapy, psychology, social work and other professions.
Among those who have found SAR of great value both personally and professionally are:
- Physicians, psychologists, psychiatrists, sexologists, therapists, counselors, teachers, college professors, nurses, clergy, researchers, social workers, health educators, persons working in family planning centers, and paraprofessionals and students in all of the above areas.
- People who wish to expand their own possibilities around sex in their own lives.
- Parents who wish to feel more at ease with sex and sexuality in order to feel more at ease for their children’s questions and developmental needs.
- Individuals seeking personal growth and development of healthy personal relationships.
The Haven SAR process is a recognized pre-requisite by OPT (Options for Sexual Health) for their SHEC program (Sexual Health Educator’s Certification). SAR is not clinical training nor is it therapy, nor is it traditional sex education but rather offers an opportunity for participants to open to a larger picture of human sexuality on many levels, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, and psychologically in a setting that is both respectful and beautiful.
During the SAR program you can expect to:
- Learn about topics such as: fantasy, masturbation, LGBTQ+, non-monogamy, sex work, gender, BDSM, disability, and aging, eco-sexuality.
- Deepen your understanding and self awareness of how your personal attitudes, beliefs, biases and values related to sexuality effect you professionally and personally.
- Be invited to examine those attitudes and values and their sources.
- Challenge your self enough to expand your comfort zone to create more space for intellectual, emotional and psychological understanding of diverse human sexual expressions.
- Deepen the understanding and acceptance of ones own sexuality.
- Consensually and conversationally share your insights and feelings in a process-oriented, structured group setting facilitated by volunteer assistants and the leaders.
- Improve communications skills about sexuality, both on a professional and a personal level.
- Examine sexual themes through viewing a wide variety of explicit teaching media with adult content from numerous perspectives, designed to teach and inform.
- Listen to several diverse panels of live presenters/speakers with various lifestyles and orientations who generously agree to share their experiences.
- Precise topics, themes and panelists will be revealed during the days of the program.
- There will be no nudity or explicit touching.