New Horizons Phase III
New Horizons Phase III is the integrative, conceptual complement to Living Alive Phases I and II.
This exciting program is an invitation to complement and integrate your learning in Come Alive, the Living Alive Phase programs, or other adventures in personal growth. In this program you will dig deeply into the intellectual and philosophical underpinnings of The Haven's work. At the same time you will closely examine your own patterns of thought and behaviour and consider the implications and challenges of self-responsible, relational living in the contemporary world.
The program is intended both for people wanting to further their own personal growth and for health professionals, teachers and other “people helpers” wanting to broaden and deepen their theoretical framework and skills.
Some of the areas we will cover are:
- The Haven: our history and the fundamentals of our approach to growth and experiential education.
- Highlights of Western Psychology, especially the psychodynamic and humanistic / existential traditions reflected in Haven approaches.
- Classical Chinese (Five Elements) Medicine. The philosophy of acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, including its emotional and spiritual aspects, offers a different perspective on life and the application of healing practices to one’s self and to others.
- The Body and its Energy. The theory and practice of various body-oriented therapies, including Haven-style body and breath work, introduces participants to concepts and experiences of energy blockage and release.
- Other Methods for Change. The theory and practice of gestalt, psychodrama, communication skills and group dynamics. This will be useful both to those who work with people as helpers and in participants’ own growth process.
- Living in the Contemporary World. Readings, presentations, film and experiences will provide material for discussions. Participants can use one another as “sounding boards” to help clarify and share their ideas and assumptions and make choices about how to live.
The program consists of daily presentation and discussion sessions, skills practice, smaller group time, plus reading and films. Learning is both conceptual and experiential.
We recommend that you take the full 25-day program. However, if that is not possible, we offer New Horizons in two 12-day parts (Part A and Part B), which can be taken at different times. Part A must be taken before Part B.
New Horizons Part A: August 31-September 12, 2020
New Horizons Part B: September 13-25, 2020
Past Participant Drop-in: If you have have already taken New Horizons, you're invited to drop in for sections of the program. The schedule is organized so that you can concentrate for several days to review topics such as Haven-style bodywork or the Chinese Five Elements. Talk to the registrars (firstname.lastname@example.org 1 800 222 9211 x1) for timing and cost.
New Horizons FAQ:
- New Horizons can be taken before Living Alive I & II. Initially, these programs (referred to as Phase I, II & III) were imagined as a series. There is still a benefit to progressing through them in order, yet each is highly relevant and engaging as a standalone program.
- New Horizons can be your first Haven programs. Many people begin with our 5-day Come Alive program and are enthusiastic to continue their learning. Others get a taste of Haven-style programming through a Toolkit, other program, or trusted referral. Some start with a 25-day deep dive. If you have any questions about which program is right for you, please contact our experienced registration team: 1.800.222.9211 x1 or email@example.com
- Financial Aid can help. We offer simple payment plans, scholarships, and partial bursaries to help you finance your investment in yourself. Don’t let program fees hold you back. Learn more.
- Repeat Discount: Any participant who has already completed Living Alive Phase I, Living Alive Phase II or New Horizons Phase III can repeat the same program for the full 25 days, and receive a $1000 discount. Contact the registrars for more information (1 800 222 9211 x 1).
This reading list is intended to help you to start the process before you reach the session room. The books have been chosen to give you a wide invitation to explore the big questions, to stretch your thinking, to bump into your own limitations as you learn new ideas. We strongly encourage reading as many as you can, even if it means browsing through them to get a ‘feeling’ of what we are going to explore.
- The Illuminated Heart, Wong and McKeen. A must, as it provides a good overview of many concepts.
- Being: A Manual for Life and Joining: The Relationship Garden, Wong and McKeen. The basic texts for The Haven's approach.
- Traditional Acupuncture: The Law of the 5 Elements, Dianne Connelly.
- Civilization and its Discontents, Sigmund Freud.
- Situation Ethics, Joseph Fletcher.
- Denial of Death, Ernest Becker.
- When the Body Says No, Gabor Mate.
- Eastern Body, Western Mind, Anodea Judith.
- Compassion and Self Hate, Theodore Rubin.
- Body, Self and Soul, Jack Rosenberg.
- No Boundary, Ken Wilber. Or, any of his titles.
- Vibrational Medicine, Richard Gerber.
- Pocket Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology, Daniel Siegel.
- Free Your Breath, Free Your Life, Dennis Lewis.
- Current Psychotherapies, Raymond J. Corsini. Older editions are less expensive and fine for our purposes.
This program is approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training.
Book 30 days before the program to save $500!
Package pricing from: $8115* Includes program tuition, accommodation, and meals.
*"Pricing from" is calculated using early-bird discounts and the most economical, off-season accommodation rates. These calculations are intended to help you evaluate your investment and do not guarantee the availability of specific accommodations and rates. Please verify availability and rates for specific session dates by clicking "Register" or by calling our registrars toll-free at 1 800 222 9211 x 1.