Deep Listening: Core Skills for Coaching
Listening deeply is about listening for what is essential, beyond what is being said or heard, and can enable impactful engagements and connection.
Haven core faculty member Cathy Wilder and Jennifer Hilton teach a coaching form and process of deep listening and focused conversations. The ultimate results being richer engagement with others and the opening to possibilities that inspire transformation in self and other.
Deep Listening is suitable for anyone working with people, including individuals that would like to learn, managers, leaders and executives who struggle with:
- Ineffective interactions, both personal and professional
- Being told 'you don’t listen' or 'you talk too much' or believe you need to get people to listen to you
- Increased demands and distractions at work or home
- Feeling frustrated with the lack of results, missed targets, motivation and performance of individuals in your workplace
- Experiencing a lack of engagement and connection in your personal and/or work relationships
This program is also designed to support the education of Haven students and Interns in the Diploma program.
You might think of the difference between radar that goes out looking for something and a satellite dish with a wide range of pickup capacity that just sits in the backyard, waiting. Be a satellite dish. Stay turned on, but just wait. Sylvia Boorstein
- Potential outcomes based on learning that is offered:
- Fire-up your communication approach to make the most of your interactions
- Inspire transformations in people and change possibilities into reality
- Learn how to listen with all your senses
- Deepen your capacity to be present and experience deeper engagement with others
- Create more contactful and meaningful relationships
- 'Help' others without doing their work and inspire them to work harder for you
- Learn more about who you are and how you are with others
Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force. The people who listen to us are the ones we move toward. When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand. Karl Menninger
In an experiential group setting, we explore through various models, exercises, activities, and discussion. Supervised practice coaching facilitates the learning of energy/body/mind-based techniques. Immediate feedback, group dialogue and personal work all support participants to integrate their learning.
This program does not require approval by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training. As such, the registrar did not review this program.